Home »


NOTE: How to request a Golden Visa Residence in Spain & Portugal


The web page goldenvisas.net or the Law Firm Martinez Echevarria do not represent officially the Spanish of Portuguese Government. In any case, the information provided does correspond to the terms the Law establishes in both countries.

The Law Firm Martinez-Echevarria, by means of the web page goldenvisas.net offers legal support and facilitates the tasks, representation and proceedings to obtain the residence permit for investors – Golden Visa- in Spain and in Portugal. We also advise in regards to the legal and fiscal matters related to the investment which is necessary for the application of the said visa.

How to obtain a Golden Visa Residence Permit in Spain

The residence visa for investors regulated in Law 14/2013 of the 27th September, can be requested free of charge by any non EU citizen before the consulate organizations which depend on the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores). For more information concerning procedures and documentation that must be presented, you can visit the web page of each of the Spanish Consulates in the world.

For residence permits after the first year, the procedures can be carried out at the Foreign Offices located on Spanish Territory. For more information and queries, you can visit the link.

Who can apply?

  • Investors who make a significant investment in Spain.
  • Business projects in Spain considered being of general interest.

Where do I apply?

  • Visas will be processed at the Spanish Consulate in your country of origin or residence.
  • Residence permits will be processed by the Large Business and Strategic Groups Unit [Unidad de Grandes Empresas y Colectivos Estratégicos (UGE-CE)].

What are the requirements and what documents are needed?

General documents:

  • Identity document or passport.
  • Public or private health insurance taken out with a company operating in Spain.
  • Background check.
  • Proof of sufficient funds to support the applicant and members of his/her family during residence in Spain.

Specific documents:

  • Documents providing proof of the investment:
  • Property: certificate of registration of the property and purchase deeds of the real estate.
  • Unlisted shares and equity: statement of investment filed with the Investments Register of the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (Registro de Inversiones).
  • Listed shares: document from a financial broker registered with the National Securities Market Commission (CMNV) or the Bank of Spain.
  • Public debt: certificate from the financial institution or the Bank of Spain indicating that the applicant has been the sole owner of the investment for a period of not less than five years.
  • Bank deposits: certificate from the financial institution indicating that the applicant is the sole owner of the bank deposit.
  • Business project: before applying for a visa or permit, a favourable report is required on the business and entrepreneurial activity intended to be carried out in Spain.

Where do I request the general interest report?

  • For visas, the report on entrepreneurial activity of interest should be requested from the Spanish Economic and Trade Office in the same area where the visa is requested.
  • For residence permits, the general interest report should be requested before applying for a residence permit at the Directorate-General for Trade and Investment.

Further information:

**These leaflets are for information only and are not legally binding**


How to request a Golden Visa Residence in Portugal

Who may apply?

Third State citizens involved in an investment activity, either individually or through a company conducting, at least, one of the following operations in national territory for a minimum period of five years:

  1. Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 1 million Euros;
  2. Creation of, at least, 10 job positions;
  3. Acquisition of real estate with a value equal to or above 500 thousand Euros.

It covers shareholders of companies already set up in Portugal, or in another EU State, with a stable residence in Portugal and with tax obligations.

Where do I apply?



  • At the Portuguese Diplomatic or Consular Posts.
  • At Regional Directorate and Regional Delegatio of the Immigration and Borders Service [SEF] in Portugal.


  • Passport or another valid travelling document;
  • Proof of legal entry and permanence in nationalterritory;
  • Proof of health insurance;
  • Signed application enabling consultation of the Portuguese Criminal Record by SEF;
  • Criminal Record Certificate from the relevant authority of the applicant’s home country or from any other country where he / she resided for over a year;
  • As means of evidence of compliance with tax obligations, the applicant shall deliver a declaration proving the absence of debts issued by the Inland
  • Revenue and Customs Authority and by the Social Security.

For further information:

If you are abroad:

If you are in Portugal:


**These leaflets are for information only and are not legally binding**